Monday, January 22, 2007

Lessons from no tv

Well, it has been a week since we turned off our TV. Or more accurately, since we put it in the closet. It hasn't been a week completely without TV however, don't let me mislead you. The littlest one still get a few minutes while I put the eldest down for a nap, there was Grey's Anatomy on Thursday while I folded laundry in my room, there will be a mama daughter cuddle time of Gilmore Girls tomorrow. But over all, it has been a week blessedly free of TV. What have I found? Contrary to my expectations, I have found that I love it. The only reason I wanted to do this was because we've needed the extra TV time in the past few months as I was getting back on my feet. A very good use of TV in my estimation and was extremely thankful not only for it, but for all of the people who were willing to watch The Incredibles more times than I can count. But I knew that it would be hard to simply scale back the video viewing. That once it got turned on in the day it would be hard to turn it off since we were all so used to its constant presence. I expected that this was going to be really really hard. I expected temper tantrums. I expected a messy house and take out dinners as I figured out how to do life with out my helper the TV. Instead there are less tantrums. A lot less. The house, though not perfect, isn't bad. And let's be honest, it has never been perfect. As for dinner, I've cooked more this past week than I have in ages. The girls love being in the kitchen with me and although everything takes longer, what am I rushing to go do anyways?

And you know what else? My daughter loves to read. I had no idea. I mean really, really, really loves to read. She wants me to read to her, she wants to "read" to me, she sits and reads by herself, she reads to her sister. It blows me away.

Yes, she still asks for Veggies and Incredibles. Multiple times a day. And she was fascinated by the TV playing at the lunch place we went to yesterday. It isn't like her love of television has disappeared. And that's OK by me. I rather like it myself. The key for us right now though is finding the right amount. The amount where we can enjoy the entertainment, but not where it dominates us. As Larry Boy says, "You can't be the person God wants you to be if all you ever think about is watching TV" (or fill in your distraction of choice).

At this point I'm thinking we may bring the TV back for Easter. Maybe not. The capability to watch it is still here, just not in the main room of our house. Maybe it never needs to be in the main room of our house again. Or at least not as long as Mama is healthy and well. Like I said, I have nothing against TV, but I'm loving the peace without it far too much to rush back to its all consuming presence.

3 Comments:

At January 23, 2007 11:24 AM, Blogger Leigh Ann said...

Good going! The kids have not watched it since Saturday morning when we were in the hotel. The tantrums are down because they are so busy doing other stuff. Boo has asked for it, but he doesn't whine and carry on like before. I love the silence. I know we will use it if we need to (a.k.a. mommy needs a shower real bad), but it's nice for it not to be a given that it will be on all day long.

 
At January 25, 2007 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that Ana'el has taken its absence so well. I remember 2 lent seasons ago Bill and I turned off the TV until Easter and it was really really hard because I am NOT the reader my husband is but in that time I managed to actually keep a clean house and read 2 books that I had been "wanting" to read for ages. I need to find a way to actually keep to watching ONLY our list of chosen programs instead of vegging during the day watching ER re-runs and "Baby Story". Half of the baby shows annoy me anyway!

So, I am finally back to blogging...

 
At January 27, 2007 11:37 AM, Blogger Tiffany said...

Shannon- so know what you mean about turning it on for things like reruns an baby story. (mine aren't er reruns, friends generaly).

I'm surprised she is taking so well too also. We did have some cuddle TV time yesterday and it was really nice. But when it was done neither of us was too upset. So far so good.

Now what to do with that TV amoire taking up space in the living room?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home