Wednesday, January 10, 2007

And now for something new

There is a new feature here at Love, Honor, and Obey. I am going to be posting a recipe once a week or so. These are mostly Tiffany adaptions, and I'll be sure to let you know where the original came from.

Hope you enjoy!

To kick things off, my absolute favorite recipe to make when having people over. Most of it can be done ahead of time, which is great for getting things picked up before company arrives.

Easy Chicken Wellington, as adapted from my mother in law.

ingredients:
  • 1 pkg frozen pastry shells
  • 3 whole chicken breasts- split, skinned, and boned
  • 3 T butter

Pastry shells have to thaw in order to use them, remember to do this inadvance. Chicken breasts, after being prepared, can be marinated for tenderness. Just stick them in a ziploc in the fridge with a little white wine, a sqeeze of lemon juice, and let them sit for a few hours. When taking them out beat them nice and tender with something hard. :)

When ready to cook, saute them in the 3T butter until brown, then add either 2T of the marinade or 2T of white wine or cooking sherry and cook until it evaporated. Make sure they are fully cooked, they won't be in the oven long enough to cook through.

Filling ingredients:
  • 1/2lb chopped mushrooms (approx)
  • 3 chopped scallions
  • 6 strips of bacon

Saute mushrooms and scallions in butter, cook bacon, then stir together and set aside.

All of this until here can be done ahead of time, I usually do it in the morning between breakfast and lunch.

Assembly:
Roll out pastry shells (one for each chicken), place 2T filling on each shell, and set 1 chicken breast on top, enclose in pastry. Place folded side down on cookie sheet. A nice touch is to take extra pastry and small cookie cutters and make a decoration to go on top. Sometimes I do all the same, somehing for the season. Or I have done shapes I think the individuals will like. I have also done initials. This is very handy if you have a picky eater who doesn't like something in the filling.

Bake the chicken at 425, for 5-10 minutes, untill pastry is all puffed up and golden.

Easy Wellington Sauce
  • 1 envelope hollandaise sauce mix
  • 3/4 C milk
  • 1T white wine or sherry
  • 2T swiss cheese (or a little more, I like to go crazy with cheese)

Mix sauce mix with wine and milk, cook and stir until smooth. Add cheese and stir until completely melted and smooth.

And there you have it!! It is really easy, and so so good. You can play around with the filling ingredients, celery is rather good. I've also done wellington bites that you can then dip in the sauce. It is actually really yummy to make up extra bites while making up the regular ones for dinner, double the sauce recipe and then have the bites for lunch during the rest of the week.

Happy Eating!

2 Comments:

At January 11, 2007 7:46 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

After having this delicious meal at your house 2 years ago, I love to make this for special occasions. We just had Dallas' aunt over and I made it and it always gets raves. We started putting spinach inside with the mushrooms...yummy! Thanks again for a great recipe.

 
At January 12, 2007 11:33 AM, Blogger Tiffany said...

Carrie!!!! You still exist!!! Spinach sounds really good, I'll have to give that a try.

I don't think I have the right number for you all, drop me an email or give me a call sometime, I'd love to catch up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home