Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday



You may have noticed, I'm jumping back in to blog world with two feet. First a new post, then a "Kitchen Tip Tuesday" and now a "Works for Me Wednesday". WFMW is something I have seen around the blogsphere for awhile now and always wanted to do. It is just a fun concept- you just share something in your life you found to work well. It is hosted by Shannon, and at the bottom of her post (like with Kitchen Tips) you can find links to everyone else who is participating and learn a thing or two. You can also spend too much time surfing the web, but that is a topic for another day.

My first WFMW is decidedly female oriented. So male readers, you might just want to come back tomorrow. If you're married, or have sisters, or had a mother my hope is that this wouldn't seem weird, but I do like to give fair warning.





Mama Cloth. That is what works for me. Mama cloth is the cloth diaper of the female sanitary product world. Instead of using something that is scratchy, filled with chemicals, backed with adhesive, and that I always seemed to forget to buy anyway- I use something which is cloth, soft and easy on my skin, reusable, and simple.

If you read my post from Sunday, you already know I do cloth diapers. So Mama Cloth isn't a big leap. You can simply wash them with your diapers. But doing cloth diapers isn't a requirement. In fact, I think Mama Cloth is far simpler than cloth diapering.

A couple of selling points:
  • You aren't going to spend anymore money on cloth, in fact in most cases you will save money
  • They can be washed with other laundry (diapers, towels) and so aren't adding any extra effort to you week
  • You always have them-no running to the store because you forgot to buy them!
  • Less chemicals next to your body= a healthier you
  • You are doing something good for the planet. True, we aren't talking mounds and mounds of garbage, but any cut back is good.
  • They work well- I have far less issues with cloth than I ever did with disposable
  • Lots to choose from- pretty colors, different thickness, more choices than you'll ever get at Target
  • Encourages one to not be embarrassed about menstruation. No, I'm not suggesting we have fertility goddess celebrations, but really this isn't something that needs to be such a hush-hush topic. After all, this is what enables us to have children. And children are amazing. It is something that virtually all women experience, and while I am very pro-modesty there is nothing immodest about embracing menstruation as part of being a women and not something to be ashamed of.
I use Mother of Eden brand (the same people who make Fuzzi Bunz) and highly recommend them. But like with cloth diapers, there are many cloth pads to choose from. Just find one that works for you. This has been Works for Me Wednesday.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At January 16, 2008 3:49 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Hi,

I have been making my own cloth pads for about 4 years now. I have found that I am much happier using these than any disposable. I hate it when I have to break down and use a non-cloth one every once in a blue moon. The cheapest way to make them I have found is to either buy flannel at the $1 a yard bin in Wal-Mart or at Goodwill pick up a pair of used flannel pjs (I wash them well, of course).

I am happy someone else has made this switch. :)

 
At January 17, 2008 12:02 PM, Blogger Felicia said...

They're definitely better for the environment :)

 
At January 17, 2008 8:28 PM, Blogger Leigh Ann said...

This is very interesting. They look so cute. I am pretty light so maybe these would work for me.

I'm glad you are back blogging with a fury. I like reading your thoughts here and elsewhere.

 
At January 18, 2008 12:30 PM, Blogger Tiffany said...

It always surprises me how many people DO use these. And yet, never really heard about it before I started to. Which is one of the reasons I did this post.

And leigh ann, (not to give TMI) but I am anything but light and have virtually no problems with these. The occasional bunching on heavy overnights, but I had that with disposable as well. Now though there is no adhesive that gets stuck to me, which is nice. :)

 
At February 06, 2008 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I switched to mama cloth and LOVE it! I make my own but am also addicted to Homemade Mama (www.homemademama.com) when I'm too busy to sew.

 
At February 09, 2008 6:43 PM, Blogger Mrs. Taft said...

I use DGD's (www.daisygirldesigns.com) and love them :)

 
At April 22, 2008 12:54 AM, Blogger Annie said...

I use a Diva cup and, uh, cheap wash cloths. They can be folded in different ways to add more thickness where needed, they don't budge with a pair of well-fitting undies, and you can't beat the price. When they're soiled, they can be refolded so that a dry area is available, if necessary. Works for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home